Wednesday, November 23, 2011

doughnuts!


I fried some canned biscuits and made doughnuts for breakfast. just like mom made. I remember "helping" as a kid, but none of the important details stuck with me, so I had to refresh myself by searching online.
the biscuit type doesn't seem to matter. I used the kind with butter pieces in it and without - both came out the same. I flattened out the dough and stretched a hold in the middle instead of cutting one out because I didn't want to mess with a bunch of little holes. the main key is the oil. it needs to be at 375F. if your oil is too hot or the dough is too thick it won't cook on the inside before the outside burns, but if the oil isn't hot enough it'll be too greasy. the setting on my oven between 3 and 4 gives the best results for me, but I had to test the temp with a candy thermometer before figuring that out. let it fry for a couple of minutes and then flip and fry the other side for a few more minutes - pretty easy, and not as messy as you'd think. it's nothing like frying bacon where ya get a lot of splatter. these are a low, fairly slow bubble.

I dusted mine with powdered sugar like when I was a kid. they need to be eaten fresh when this is done because the sugar turns to liquid when they sit for a while. which is fine if you like a glazed doughnut better than a powdered one - still tastes good to me!

No comments: