Thursday, April 25, 2013

Chicken Tetrazzini

one of my favorite casseroles mom made growing up was Chicken Tetrazzini, and it's still a treat to have now.  I made some this week with some leftover grilled chicken - so good :)  Matt told me that on America's Test Kitchen they tell you to soak your meat in a salt brine to make it juicy when cooked.  we did some chicken quarter in a salt and brown sugar brine and threw them on the grill.  they came out really well!  I shredded the chicken and put them in seal-a-meal bags in the freezer so I could pull small portions out when I needed them.  worked perfect for this.
 
Chicken Tetrazzini
 
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 can chicken broth (I use 2 cups of water and add 2 bouillon cubes) 
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1/4 lb. pasta (I use penne or spiral when I have them, otherwise I use spaghetti)
sliced toast, bread crumbs, or croutons
1/4 cup butter
3 TBSP chopped onion
4 TBSP chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
shredded jack cheese (pepper jack is the best!)
 
Reserve 1/2 cup of chicken broth and use the rest in the water to boil the pasta.  Sauté vegetables in butter until tender, turn off heat add in the reserved chicken broth, milk, cream of mushroom soup, chicken, and cooked pasta.  Pour into casserole dish and top with cubed toast, bread crumbs, or croutons.  Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.  After baking, cover top with cheese.  This is best made the day before.  Once assembled in dish, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake - overnight is best!

No comments: