Thursday, October 4, 2012

banana spread

I always seem to have an abundance of bananas in my freezer, but due to weevils attacking my flour recently I thought I'd see what I could make without flour (my usual is banana bread or banana roll) and I found a few recipes online.  I decided to just wing it going from what I found and what I had on hand.

I used:
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 5 frozen and mushy/liquidy bananas
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • cinnamon
  • pumpkin pie spice
  • salt
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
put it all in a sauce pan and brought to a boil, stirred with a whisk until it was thick and mostly smooth.  I pulled it off the heat and added some vanilla extract and stuck it in a jar to put in the fridge.
I spread it on some plain toast and it was wonderful :)  when I finish all this up (which probably won't be too much longer!) I wanna try it with brown sugar like in this recipe:
  • 2 firm-ripe medium bananas
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup light or amber rum
Cut bananas crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Melt butter in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then add brown sugar and cook, whisking, until smooth and combined well, about 1 minute. Add rum and bananas, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes.

another recipe called for pecans!  I really want to try adding that, chopping them up real fine in my coffee grinder and spreading it over biscuits :)

No comments: