Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mexican Horchata

I don't have many shows I watch on TV anymore, but I subscribe to new YouTube channels all the time.  my newest is tastemade.  I saw them do Mexican Horchata in an ad before something I was waiting to watch on foodwishes, and it looked really good.  I finally got a chance to make it this week after waiting forever to get to try it... and I forgot to get almonds!  I substituted walnuts and it was okay.  I ended up adding almond extract and that made it better.
I generally don't like when recipes make you wait to eat them, but I figured I would give it a shot because even though I hate waiting, all the recipes I do that require a day or so in the fridge are usually awesome, and this one was pretty good.
there were two things I didn't like about it, though: 1) there's a lot of pulp that gets strained out and I feel like it's a lot of waste, 2) even though there was a lot of pulp that got strained out, it was still a little too gritty for my liking.  I have some ideas of how to fix this, and because the cinnamon made me think it would be a better Christmas beverage, I think I'll revisit it later in the year and tweak it a bit.

No comments: