Monday, November 12, 2012

soup recipe

Leo used to love butternut squash when he was eating mush, but then he discovered bread and other good things and never went back.  unfortunately I had a leftover squash that never got used.  I'm not sure how long I had it for, but it's been quite a while!  it never showed signed of going bad so I never threw it out... but I think it'd possibly been a year.  the skin was still firm and it didn't smell, so I cut it open to see how scary it was inside.  it was fine!  it was a crummy squash to start with because it had so many seeds in it :(  but it smelled good so I baked it up and made soup.

I found some tasty sounding recipes online and just sorta mixed and matched with what I had in the pantry.
I used:
  • 1 medium/smallish butternut squash - pre-baked
  • 3 cups chicken broth (made from chicken bullion)
  • 1 cup water
  • water from a can of peas
  • one apple, peeled and cubed
  • 2 small potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
  • 1 tsp of nutmeg
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • dash of Gourmet Burger seasoning (I use this in practically everything!)
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • peas
I boiled the water and threw in the bullion cubes, cut up the potatoes and apple and boiled them in the broth and added the spices.  once the apples and potatoes were soft enough to mash I added the pre-baked butternut squash, cream, and the water from the can of peas and let that all simmer covered for a while. when it was time to eat I tossed the peas in to warm them up and served it with potato bread.
it was so good!  the day ending up being warm, but we were all a little under the weather/worn out so it really hit the spot.

No comments: